Temperatures here in Southern Oregon are on their way UP! We hit 90 degrees yesterday, and we’re supposed to hit 90 again today. Yep, it’s gone from mild to hot in a hurry! So how do you stay cool without breaking the bank?
- Use Your Windows – In the morning while the air outside is cool, open your windows and let the breeze in. As the day gets warmer, close your windows and your blinds or curtains to trap the cool air in the house.
- Know Your Directions – Watch out for the west side of your house. If you have windows facing west, it’s going to get HOT in the afternoon. If at all possible, plant a tree to shade the west side. If not, buy a shade to block the sun from your westward facing windows in the afternoon.
- Use Fans – Air circulation is key to keeping your house cool. Use ceiling fans, if you have them. If not, strategically set up fans throughout the house to keep air moving. I’ve heard setting an ice block in front of a fan will cool things down, too, but I haven’t tried it myself.
- Keep Cool Drinks on Hand – A glass of ice water will cool you off quickly. It’s also important to stay hydrated to avoid heat related illnesses. There’s nothing worse than feeling sick when it’s 100 degrees out.
- Don’t Use the Oven – The oven will heat up your house in a hurry, so don’t use it when the weather is hot. Your best bet is to grill outside, but if that’s not possible, use your stovetop or the crockpot. Or even better, prepare a yummy, yet frugal, pasta salad for dinner. Cook the pasta in the morning, while the house is cool and refrigerate it all day. There’s nothing better than a cool dinner on a hot day!
- Frozen Fruit Makes a Good Snack – Have you ever eaten frozen grapes or blueberries? They’re delicious! Eating frozen fruit is also a healthy way to keep cool! And if your kids love popsicles, freeze some juice. It’s healthier and more frugal than the store bought popsicles!
- Send the Kids Out to Play Early – The worst time for sunburns is between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., so send the kids out to play early in the morning or later in the evening. During the hottest period of the day, do something quiet that will keep you all from overheating. How about reading a book together?
- Use Your Air Conditioner – I know. This isn’t the frugal option, but sometimes it’s worth it to spend the money to keep comfortable. Set your thermostat to a comfortable (not a freezing) level, and enjoy the cool of the indoors. Just remember to turn off the a/c and open the windows to save money when the air outside cools down.
What do you do to cool down, when the weather outside is hot?
Photo by Zanastardust.