I absolutely LOVE vinegar! I buy it by the gallon and use it for everything. When you have vinegar on hand, you don’t need to buy a bunch of extra expensive cleaners. It has disinfectant properties, so you don’t need bleach if you keep on top of your cleaning.
Here are some of the ways I’ve used vinegar.
- Fabric Softener. I rarely buy commercial fabric softener. Instead, I fill a Downy ball about halfway with vinegar and toss it in the wash. If you have a fabric softener dispenser in your washing machine, you don’t even need the Downey ball. Just put 1/2 cup vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.
- Drain Cleaner. Have a sluggish drain? Don’t run out and buy Drano! First, try putting 1/2 cup baking soda in the drain. Follow that with 1/2 cup vinegar. Let it sit for at least an hour and then pour boiling water down the drain. Most of the time that clears the clog right up. You can even repeat this monthly, to prevent clogged drains.
- Showerhead Reviver. What do you do when your showerhead gets clogged with mineral deposits? I fill a plastic baggie with vinegar and fasten it to my showerhead with a rubber band. In a few hours, it dissolves the mineral deposits, and your showerhead will work again!
- Hair Rinse. If your hair is looking a little dull, try rinsing it with 1 Tablespoon of vinegar mixed in one cup of water. It will strip your hair of commercial shampoo residue and make your hair look shiny again.
- All Purpose Cleaner. Mix vinegar and water one to one, and you have a great all purpose cleaner. It will clean the bathroom, kitchen, and many other areas of your home. Just don’t use it on marble.
- Floor Cleaner. I used to mop my tile floor with 1 cup of vinegar in one gallon of water. It worked really well. I haven’t tried it on laminate yet, though.
Those are just a few of the many ways you can use vinegar. What are your favorite uses of vinegar?